Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

February 11, 2006

Character

It occurred to me that the last post was fine until the end. That sort of sexual innuendo joking around, mild as it may have been, just doesn't comport with the character I want to cultivate in myself. Someone asked me the other night what I would change about myself and I was surprised at how quickly I came up with a handful of things, most of them having to do with aspects of character such as integrity. On that score I would do well to heed the advice of a fortune cookie I once got: "Character is what you do in the dark."

So what am I doing about it? Well, as a first matter I'm recognizing my flaws, hence this post, and then conscientiously working to avoid repeating the offending behavior.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger mal said…

    think I have to disagree with you about character. Some one told me that "character is what we do when decisions are hard"

    I have been wondering if getting overly PC is not a mistake too
    Some days we are probably better off staying in bed

    *G*

    Sounds like you had a neat "Gay" evening! *L* just kidding

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    I think you're right. Perhaps integrity is what you do in the dark when no one's there to watch you.

    You know, no matter how much crazy stuff our politicos, corporation-types and deranged citizens do I have to admit it never makes me feel like staying in bed. In fact, ranting against it kind of invigorates me.

    Ya somehow all these "I talked to a cool guy at the bar the other night" stories all sound so gay. I do have a few "talked to a cool woman" stories, but they're a little more rare. I think that's mostly because it's rare that a woman sits at the bar unaccompanied (my experience). My sister gave me a really hard time about this one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home