Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

January 22, 2006

American Legion

God bless the American Legion. This veterans organization is pro-American, pro-troops, and most of all, pro-good-times. Here's what I mean. My good friend FriendB invited me to join him at the legion, which post he'd just become a member of. I went over to his house and he drove from there. The first thing that greeted my senses was a wafting cloud of barbeque smoke and a crowd of gentlemen standing outside, gathered 'round a TV watching some football game with bottles of beer in hand. Cool; my kind of party. But it gets better. Inside was basically a dive bar replete with 40-50 year old gentlemen and respective wives, girlfriends, and "regulars." Oh, and bottles of beer that sold for $1.75--cheaper than anything you're likely to get anywhere in LA.

So, basically, I hung out at a small, friendly, cheap dive-bar where everyone is friendly, eager to know you name and ready with a smile, compliment and anecdote to tickle your social fancy. The places I've lived in or visited back east are full of such places, but LA, with its impersonal, loud and crowded night clubs is bereft of the pleasures of the neighborhood bar/scene.

Admittedly, I spent way too much time at the bars near my law school, and yet I really do miss the crowd--where everyone really does know your name and where everyone is glad to see you...and buy you a pint.

Tonight was good. Thank you FriendB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home