Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

January 12, 2006

I am addicted


…to Napoleonic era seafaring novels. I am working on the thirteenth of the 20-book Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O’Brian upon which the movie Master and Commander was based. They are thumping great fun, prodigious good reading and I’ll soon blow through the whole series as easy as kiss my hand!

I guess I've always loved a little historical fiction. These are probably more of a cross between historical fiction, adventure, and something out of an English literature course. I also like to read authors or series so there you go: I must necessarily have become addicted to Mr. O'Brian's magnus opus!

(The photo: today I felt like being invisible so I wore fatigues and hid out in the bushes in front of my house to see if I could scare the postman.)

3 Comments:

  • At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was hoping for more sailorish pants, perhaps some bellbottoms in white and blue? would better fit the sea-faring theme than army pants, and be much more entertaining. :)

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger mal said…

    the OH got into CS Forrester (Hornblower) a few years ago and then Bernard Cornwells "Sharps" series. So far OBrien has not come up *G*. What is the attraction of that period?

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Fawn Deer (I like that one!), you point me to the thrift store that sells a pair of bellbottom sailor slacks and I will send you a personally autographed snapshot. Too bad I'm not reading westerns. Now, for that I have a costume!

    Mallor, thanks for turning me on to my next addiction! I'd heard of the Hornblower novels, but I've yet to check them out. First I hear of Sharps, though. You know what it is about that period is the language, the particular sense of ethics/customs of the sea, compelling characters, interesting and exotic plots, together with juicy technical tidbits about navigation, sailing and the state of medical science at that time. I suspect these are some pretty guy-oriented themes. It probably doesn't hurt that the foremast jacks delight in calling every other woman a "wench." But really now, that's not why I like them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home