Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

January 10, 2006

I am loved


This birthday, I was loved.

I was loved by a friend who joined me for a very nice breakfast Wednesday. I'm afraid I was a little sleep deprived that morning, but she was very gracious. She surprised me with an example of Hallmark’s finest and I’m glad for her thoughtfulness.

Then I was loved Thursday by Snow Summit. They gave me a free all-day lift ticket on account of my birthday. I had tried snowboarding for the first time a week before and a bruised tailbone convinced me that I am a committed skier so I stuck to what I know. I’m no great shakes at skiing, but I love it every time I go. It was great this time too except that toward the afternoon I got a little tired and my inside leg just wouldn’t quite cooperate on the turns so I spilled it a couple of times. That was a little discouraging, but at least I wasn’t hurt and I’m not so afraid of falling anymore.

On Friday I was loved to the tune of several pints of Jeremiah Red ale by a bunch of friends and my sister. Even my father showed up which was a total surprise and just a little strange since he doesn’t drink. I’m told he sampled my glass, though, while I went to the little boy’s room. Even BJ’s loved me with a complimentary pizzookie which I reluctantly shared, even as I ate the lion’s share.

On Saturday I was loved by my mother who graciously bought me a Royal Red Robin Burger—a pretty decent cheeseburger made even better with by the addition of bacon and a fried egg! My two sisters also joined us and we had a good time since the older of my two sisters made it her duty to keep my mother laughing.

On Sunday I was loved by an old friend of mine who put together the most eclectic little dinner party you could ever wish for featuring an honest to goodness Texas brisket with homemade beans and tortillas. Texans—my God, they know how to eat! We had a couple engineers, a merchant marine, a retired speed guy (the guys who tune and travel with the racing cars), a programmer, a secretary who wants to do children’s ministry and me. We had dinner in a not-so-converted warehouse amidst torn apart motorcycles and a pool table. Very chic.

I was loved. And for the few of you guys who were part of the festivities and also read this post, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home