Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

January 25, 2006

The artist

There arose an interesting opportunity right before heading off to law school a few years ago: I had about five months to myself to indulge my hobbies and passions. It was a wonderful time because I finally, for once, had both time and money in happy proportion. I think I'll spend the next several posts highlighting some of my doings during that time.

Once upon a time ago I wore my hair long and silver hoops hung from my ear lobes. Those are my artist's credentials. I can't explain the hair, but I've always liked jewelry (to look at, not usually to wear, though). Following are pictures of some pieces I made and one of my bench, which I prefer to call my "studio." If I call it a bench I'm a hobbyist; if I call it a studio I'm an artist!

This is a pendant I made for my mother's birthday. It is an amethyst in a sterling silver basket setting. I tried to keep as much metal as I could away from behind the stone so that light could pass through as you see here.








These are the first pair of earrings I ever made. The design is similar to one I saw at Costco. It's simple, elegant, and easy to make! In this case they are merely cubic zirconia. To be honest, I've never been a fan of diamonds mostly for the same reason I don't like vodka: colorless and flavorless, so what's the point. The posts and nuts are gold to avoid allergic reactions.



This ring is sterling silver with a basket setting. The stone is pyrope garnet. I made a bunch of simple rings like this out of silver with semiprecious stones that I gave to friends and sisters.









Garnet comes in various shades of color. Compare to rubies which are often so light they're almost pinkish in color, especially since all but the most expensive rubies tend to have a lot of inclusions which only makes them appear even lighter.



I had a really nice little bench going. Unfortunately I had to pack it all up before coming to law school. I was just about to get into casting too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home