Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

June 07, 2006

From Russia with love

Like clockwork, today my latest issue of Russian Brides Weekly wormed its way through my spam filters. I wouldn't mind so much if I weren't afraid it was just a scheme to steal one of my kidneys. Olga...kidney...Olga...kidney...na, not worth it.

_____________________________

I had the sneaky feeling that my two friends from the past with whom I've recently been reacquainted might know each other. It was a long shot, but I figured they're both in the San Francisco area and they're both finishing their residency. That's all they had in common as far as I knew and yet it turns out they do know each other. Wow, talk about the high likelihood of improbably coincidences!

Here's what I emailed one of them: "Do say hello! And do compare notes. I especially want to hear about the discrepancies: 'Really, are you sure we're
talking about the same guy? I dunno, he was a jerk
when I knew him.'"

Here's what I secretly wish they'll say to each other, "Ya, he's cute. You should go for him." "No, I insist, you go for him. You knew him first." "I know, I'll go for him first and if it doesn't work out you can go for him." "Oh gee, what a swell idea. You. You! (a la Robert De Niro in Meet the Fokers)" Ok, I'm kidding and one of them is engaged anyway. It's just the ego talkin'. Down boy!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    I've seen some of the Russian ladies, and I'll tell you they're beautiful. Big blondes, one was 6 foot two. The "husbands" are ugly, but sure of themselves. The catch is not the kidney, but the women themselves. I know I'm generalizing here, but though they seem to be grateful, they are very demanding for material things, and not particularly happy.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    A year ago I might have turned up my nose at a "big blonde," but that's another story. That and some other expereiences have made me a totally equal opportunity guy!

    Quite apart from the moral impropriety of chasing material things, in practice, it's been my observation that it doesn't often make for a happy life.

    There's something to be said about "traditional" values you might find in a woman from overseas (I'm generalizing too), but then you have to consider that the subset of women who make themelves available for this sort of thing are probably not so "traditional."

    I'm just blowing smoke here, though. I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger mal said…

    Russian women? If my brothers experience is any guide, they can be fun but be careful, they are fearsome carnivores

     

Post a Comment

<< Home