Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

June 19, 2006

Blogger's block

I’ve just finished writing a friend, “Ya, [the blog’s] a little staid lately. There's plenty of stuff going on that I could write about only right now it tends to be either boring minutia or heart-felt intimacies, neither of which gives me a lot of incentive to post to the blog. Gosh, I sound like a drama queen, no?!”

Well, since I’ve nothing to write about I think I’ll make the next post after this one a pictures post.

___________________________________________

Machinists and the like use something called a “scribe” to lay out dimensions on metal marts. It is a sort of stylus that marks a part by scratching it with a hardened point. I visited my local cheapo Chinese tool import place a few days ago and found a blister pack with a pencil-like thing in it labeled a “Scratch Owl.” As best I can figure, they transmogrified a scribe into an "awl", which in turn became an "owl," and the action of scribing into "scratching". Oh those crazy Chinese will bumble anything! How cute. Remember when we used to say the same about Japanese cars and tooling? Now they dominate the car and machine tool industry.

______________________________________________________

Someone mentioned to me that going to the gym can increase levels of testosterone and affect things like libedo. Maybe that explains the last post! Oh, I dunno...maybe there's a little truth there somewhere. I remember noticing a huge craving for meat when I started going. It's under control now. So is "springtime ennui!"

4 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    Nothing to do? So you could diagnose my car problems?

    By the way, one of my young friends went to college last year. He's an extremely bright young man. He wanted to go to the best college he could and he wanted to meet women. So ... He enrolled at Vassar. They couldn't turn him down. I understand he's doing very well.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Funny thing is, I'd gladly check out your car just for the privilege of getting to play under the hood of a hybrid. And I'd do it for free!

    Dig the subtle irony! Reminds me of this verse from the Engineer's Drinking Song by the educated drunks at my alma mater:

    Princeton's run by Wellesley, and Wellesley's run by Yale
    And Yale is run by Vassar, and Vassar's run by tail
    Harvard's run by stiff pricks, the kind you raise by hand
    But M.I.T. is run by Engineers, the finest in the land


    It's easy to meet women, but if you play for keeps, it's much tougher to find the woman. When you're in college time is measured by units of four and a half months, sometimes half of that.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    It's a 2003 Civic Hybrid. I'm not a car guy, but I gotta tell you its beautiful under the hood. The engine and the motor are so small that there's room to breath. All the wiring for the motor runs in a orange tube so it's easy to figure out.

    My problem is a with the transmission, which is an engineering marvel, but is failing too early. Starting from a dead stop is shudders. The other problem is an electrical drain. It wakes up dead in the AM. Replaced the battery but it still happens sometime.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    Volunteer work is good too. Meals on wheels. You take dinners to shut-ins. Mostly old ladies. They introduce you to their granddaughters. Working as a volunteer with other young people who are also volunteers means that you'll meet more people you could be compatible with. Church functions are good too, unless you like to drink.

    So hows this work? Heaven is where Harvard grads do your taxes, Wellesly grads throw the parties, MIT grads fix your cars, Princeton grads teach the classes, Yale grads write the books and Vassar grads run the country. Hell is where Vassar grads do your taxes, Harvard grads throw the parties, Wellesley grads fix the cars, MIT grads teach the classes, Princeton grads write the books, and Yale grads run the country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home