Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

August 28, 2006

Get off my Brokeback

Call me closed minded (or worse), but I just can't get myself to watch Brokeback Mountain. It's sitting right here because my sister wanted to see it. I wanted to see a movie tonight, but just couldn't watch this one.

First, it's a love story. I love a good love story, but only like one out of a hundred that Hollywood puts out.

Two, these dudes are cheating on their wives and I'm probably going to be expected by the film maker to feel some sort of sympathy for the nobility of these guys' struggle over whatever it is they're struggling over. Oh, poor babies, look what it's making them do! (I know, I'm just assuming here.)

Three, the gay thing. Actually, it's not such a big deal. You won't find me sporting a rainbow bumper sticker on my car, but neither will you find me refusing to watch a movie because it's got some things in there I don't particularly condone. The world's got things I don't agree with and I don't live in a bubble. Have you read any of Filthy's reviews (link at right)?! I don't particularly condone cursing, but the guy's reviews are right-on. (Ok, maybe the adolecent boy in me thinks he's funny.)

So did that just contradict what I said in reason two above? Ya, a bit. None of these reasons are determinative in themselves, but taken together, I'll pass on the movie unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Here's another contradiction for you. Sometimes I will get in a mood where I won't watch movies that have stuff in them I object to. When the world gets just a little too ugly for me I can't stomach willingly inviting more ugliness into my entertainment time. I'm not there right now.

I'll tell you what, though. The musical theme from Brokeback is beautiful. I've been playing around with it on the piano.

_____________________________________

Oh, and I found the rotten banana today. Um, that's a literal rotten banana for the figurative among you. It was in a cooler I forgot to empty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home