Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

July 12, 2006

Novelties

My father taught us a few things about his childhood. He told us fantastic stories of collecting wild watercress after a rainstorm, riding a bus cross-country overcrowded with sweaty people and live chickens, raising pigeons and making excellent soup out of them. In other words, he taught us about a time and place that's just a little more old fashioned than our contemporary suburban existence. That said, it's no wonder that certain things, which for many are mere novelties or faint memories, are very much part of our childhood memories. Here are some examples.

Radio dramas.
I love radio with a passion--the kind that engages your mind and imagination, not the kind that makes a sort of white noise sountrack to much of our lives. With the exception of the Wave (KTWV) when it first started--it's a much different station now--I never listened to FM radio. Today I listen to tons of talk radio, but when I was a kid I used to listen to those old timey radio dramas and comedy shows. Even when I was a kid in the late seventies and early eighties these shows were relics and aired for their nostalgic value, but I was experiencing for thefirst time and absolutely loving them. George and Gracie, The Shadow, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, The Whistler, Dragnet, The Lone Ranger, Jack Benny, all the greats.

Wooden tops.
Ya, the kind you tie a string around and throw to the ground. Toys R Us used to sell them for like a dollar in a blister pack. I can't find them anymore and I've tried. If you cut notches in the top just right they would whistle as they spun down. For a while when I was growing up yo-yos made a comeback and were cool again. I think tops are due for a resurgence.

Black and white movies.
These I haven't watched enough of, but I just absolutely love the old Bogey movies. I have to admit I've had a bit of a crush on the strong females in these movies (a post WWII phenomenon?). They have this witty, stylized, just-the-right-thing-to-say way of speaking that's just wow! And of course, no one looked so cool in a trenchcoat and fedora as Bogart himself.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger mal said…

    OMG!!! 94.7!! I was a fan too and when I went back I was disappointed with the format change. You and I must have been the only folks listening *L*

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was in high school and had to stay late to work on lighting for drama, my dad would pick me up and we'd listen to those old radio dramas all the way home. Sometimes we'd get home before one ended so would just sit in the driveway listening. :)

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Ah chucks guys, I wish you'd been in my circle of friends in high school. Not that I minded being different, but it might have been nice to know some folks who shared some of my tastes.

    Mal, how funny you remember that station! It's surprising you actually remember the original format. It was a lot more "new age," ambient, unique and pretty instrumental, evocative music. When I first tuned in I was blown away. I had no idea there existed this kind of music. It was feeling that I could finally relate to.

    Fawn, did I once say you and I were very different? I don't think there are a lot of folks my age with whom I could share memories of radio dramas. That's an awesome, Norman Rockwell-esque memory you have too. Precious. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's one of my own, when I needed to "get away" in law school. I would drive east until I hit the Jersey shore, buy a sack of Whitecastle burgers and listen to this weak little station out of NYC that played these shows. Sitting in the car listening to the radio while eating a hamburger is one of my favorite alone-time activities. There's something very romantic, Americana about it.

     
  • At 5:14 AM, Blogger mal said…

    *L* Little Fish, your Mom and I were probably in High School about the same time. I don't think they would have let me hang out at your high school *L*L*L*

    "The Wave" first introduced me to fusion/new age music and like you I was blown away. All the late nites I was working I would listen to the station during my down time. It was one of the things I missed when I left LA

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree completely with the black and white films! There's nothing like ole Jimmy stewart and its a wonderful life or old films like sunset boulevard or his girl friday. Hitchcock are the best, as rear window or vertigo. Ah the good ole days!

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    I loved every one of those shows on TV and when I heard them on the radio. Except for the Whistler. I'm drawing a blank on that one. Old movies too. My kids love "It's a Wonderful Life". We watch it every Christmas. They're a little less sure of Casablanca.

     
  • At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have you listen to 1070am around 9pm or 10ish for the old radio shows?
    I remember driving home from church listening to it and just loving the voices and emotions and just all of it...hee, hee. I use to park in my driveway until the show had finished. Good memories.
    thanks for the memories.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home