Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

April 10, 2006

Pretty please

Back in high school we briefly hung out at this pizza joint where a barefoot Romanian dude who didn't speak English made you a pizza pie that gave you the runs for cheap. We were cheap. One day FriendA, FriendB and I were sitting down to something resembling a pizza when we spy an attractive girl walking toward our table. FriendA and I look at each other and then turn to FriendB and make him promise he won't give her a slice. "Psha, just 'cause she's a cute girl? No way!" Thirty seconds later FriendA and I have our heads lowered and our palms to our foreheads in shame. Says FriendB, "What? Like you wouldn't have done the same!"

Fast forward to a few days ago when I spy an attractive woman dressed to allure in the parking lot as I walk to the entrance of Costco. I walk past her and turn back after I hear, "Excuse me sir, would you take this cart back with you since you're walking that way anyway?" It was petty far, a pretty big cart and a pretty big favor to ask a stranger I thought. Pretty presumptuous. I love to help ("everyone's Superman," according to a friend), but I have a chip on my shoulder about being used. So I flagrantly smirk at her as if to say, "Lady, I just bet you're pretty used to having guys do things for you just because you bat an eyelash!" I mean, I'm really about to say that out loud, but my manners compelled restraint. So I compromised and just stared and smirked in such a way that any other person would have taken the hint and said "That's ok; I'll do it myself." And she just smiles back. She knows that I know exactly what she's doing and she's enjoying the power trip. I want to say something nasty, but it's just not in me to be that way.

Thirty seconds later I'm walking behind a cart I have no intention of using. I smile at the ludicrousness of the little episode that just transpired. I caved, but won in my own little way because I maintained a gracious attitude, at least outwardly. Still, I couldn't stop thinking about it for the rest of the day. Boo to selfish manipulators--a trait that gets under my skin probably more than any other. Scratch that. It's one of a handful.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger mal said…

    I hope she was not used to manipulating males based on her appearance. I am by no means a Femi-Nazi or such but I find that demeaning to all us double X'rs.....probably because I always wanted to be able to do that.

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    She had no idea what you were thinking. It's just operant conditioning. Since she was young, I'm sure, she has been asking for favors and noting that people respond. When they don't respond, she smiles, and then they respond. When they still don't respond, she gives it the extra dazzle, and then they respond.

    I'm sure it started with small things and gradually grew larger. She doesn't even realize when her requests are excessive. She just thinks that people are nice. I'm sure that she thinks she is nice too. If you were to refuse, she would assume you were a mean person and probably be offended.

    You, on the other hand are an enabler. She could have sold you a collection of tupperware with the Little Molly motif. You were trapped by the cognitive dissonance of your smirk. When she didn't fold and acknowledge your superior intellect, you realized that your smirk was just a friendly smile to her. You couldn't bring yourself to violate the implicit contract of that friendly gesture.

    On second thought, I think it's just a clear case of testosterone poisoning. No doubt about it.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger mal said…

    Testosterone poisoning? a succinct diagnosis!

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Mal,

    Uh oh, I'm not sure what a "double X'r" is and, in a sentence that uses "femi-Nazi," I dare not misconstrue it!

    Perhaps she wasn't consciously manipulating as jj_mollo suggests, but I've known others that do. I'm just a little sensitive about that, I guess.

    jj_mollo,
    I love the analysis. Good stuff and probably pretty close to right on. You're right, she probably wasn't so conscious of manipulating the situation. All of us learn certain social conventions like which favors can be asked of a stranger, when to retract a request for a favor in light of the stranger's reaction, etc. The thing is, people don't always learn them the same way. If I could step into her shoes for a second I might be blown away by how different the social conventions of her little world are to mine.

    Hence the cognitive dissonance, I guess, and why I thought it weird she didn't get the hint. Me, an enabler? Maybe. There are lots of things I would do before forcing a confrontation Taking the cart/buying the Tupperware= my seeking psychological "consonance?" Hmmm... this theory of cognitive dissonance is growing on me!

    The social contract. I'm not sure it was so much that as a fear that I might be totally wrong and make myself out to be the bad guy if I refuse the cart. But maybe that's part of the social contract--I react the expected way to a smile and I get to feel like the good guy. Fish food for thought....

    You know what I liked most about the analysis? Her point of view. I hadn't really considered it from an unbiased stance and so I hadn't really considered her behavior was no more insidious than :operant conditioning" (though classifying it as such doesn't necessarily imply any value judgment concerning her behavior, I suppose). Dig the psych talk. Fun stuff!

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Oh, I forgot--I'm not totally clear on "testosterone poisoning" either. Is that just the guy thing of trying to get in the good graces of an attractive lady?

    Hmmm...I might quibble with the "attractive" part, but I'm quite glad to admit to having been poisoned long ago. Viva la difference!

     
  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger mal said…

    Little Fish- if you have a choice always take my comments tongue in cheek. I think you have figured out by now I am a bit of wiseass.

    The first time I heard the expression "testosterone poisoning" was in a stand up comedy routine at one of the local nite clubs. It was a woman of course trying to understand her failed relationships with men. It was hilarious

     

Post a Comment

<< Home