Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

March 04, 2006

Full contact reunion

The reunion.
Well, she (and not She) still looks the same, smiles the same, laughs the same... Hmmm... [said with a finger pressed to my lips, smiling, thinking]

One of my favorite writers O. Henry (William Sidney Porter) was author to a voluminous collection of short stories among which are a particular series that came to mind today. The series comprises about three or four variations of the same story, except that in each the main character makes a different choice at some early critical decision. Then, like the proverbial butterfly beating its wings that eventually causes the hurricane on the other side of the country, that one decision causes the story lines to diverge. And yet, in the end, each of his stories end with the same fate befalling the main character. Call it Fate or call it God, it seems the author believed the end was predestined. (The argument over predestination loses some relevance, I think, in light of the fact we don't know the ending of our own stories regardless whether they're predetermined or not.)

Well, I'm not going to think this one to death, except to say I pray I will be the best friend I possibly can be. 1 John 4:9-21; 1 Corinthians 13:4-8*. Whatever other ideas may have flitted through my mind...oh patience...I'll try not to fret about them. After all, God--the ultimate creator--is the author of my story.

*Neither of these passages refer necessarily to romantic love and that's not the way I use them here.

_________________________________________

The full contact.
After our little reunion, my friend invited me over to watch something called the Ultimate Fighting Championships: U.S.A. vs. Canada. It was sort of a cross between boxing, kickboxing and wrestling. I think they call it full contact sport. Can't say I'm too much into this sort of thing, but I have to admit the occasional night with the guys watching boxing or this stuff...well, it just feeds something in me. I'm a very happy mix of lots of neat traits; I don't think I'm the typical guy, but still.... Besides, I almost cried just thinking about the movie Forest Gump today. But still, that bloody, fleshy mess of a right eye on David Loiseau was pretty awesome!

A great way to end a fascinating day.

Oh, and I wore my leather chaps over my jeans to the fight tonight in honor of the Academy Awards. Fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home