Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

October 09, 2005

Why I'm Single

This is another spooky-accurate test result from OKCupid. It purports to tell me exactly why I am single.

Male Best Friend

You're always there, you're nice, you're the shoulder to cry on, you get along just fine. Why won't she date you? You're the "male best friend."

A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger mal said…

    I have been stewing on this post for a few days......wow

    first, whats the hurry? you have other things you need to establish before you can really start worrying about marriage and a family? Minor details like a "profession" *G*

    second, just do the things with your life that give you self respect and earns the respect of others. The rest takes care of itself. Sounds trite, but I do believe it.

    The OH and I make jokes about it, but before we had a relationship, we had respect and admiration.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Oh, you're right, of course. It just so happens that the little OKCupid anecdote closely parallels a relationship I once had, but that was almost 10 years ago! I don't think I'll be doing that again.

    Look for more musings on this and related topics in the next post.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Oh, and I do enjoy your advise (see intro to next post). I probably sound like I'm whining sometimes, but what can I say. These aren't exactly gripping tales of adventure (or adventures of gripping tails (nevermind)). My audience is sometimes no one but myself and I’m allowed to whine to myself!

    Incidentally, I got an email from Mark Walsworth. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home