Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

September 26, 2005

Prodigious Professional Problems

Years ago a classmate of mine confided to me, through prodigious sad tears, that she did not know what to do. Her family—in China—had sent her to a preeminent research university half a world away to get an education with the expectation that she would return, be married and have a family. But now a world of opportunity lay before her that put her at odds with her family’s wishes. If I remember correctly, she wanted to change her major, go on to medical school and do clinical research, here in the States. Her family threatened to cut her off and she wasn’t so sure herself what she wanted irrespective of her family’s threats.

Another friend of mine is torn between an urge to put even greater time and effort into her academic career and spending the time it takes to find a mate and have a family. She sees the tug as being in opposite directions. Perhaps they’re not a full 180 degrees apart, but I’d say they form at least an obtuse angle. It’s frankly naïve to think you can have it all—family requires sacrifices, from both parties and uniquely so from the woman.

And then there’s me. I find so very attractive a bright woman, especially if she shares something of my intellectual curiosity (gosh I’m so self-conscious of how haughty this sounds, but can’t find better words). These have usually been educated, professional types. In my little limited experience, though, the sort of sacrifice that raising a family requires presents folks like this with a tough dilemma if not an outright intractable problem. In fact, to be perfectly honest, most of the women I’ve known in law school, for example, have been downright hostile or at least equivocal about marriage and family life. So, am I barking up the wrong tree? I’m speaking here merely in terms of generalizations, but I wonder, maybe I can no more have it all than she can. (And no I don’t expect she’ll be perfect, but that’s not what I’m referring to here.) I probably need to rethink my priorities, no?

Actually, my views on the topic are probably not so uncertain as I let on, but this is an issue I like to hear other folks' views on, probably because it's one a lot of woman I've cared about have had to struggle with and I like to hear how others have resolved it.

(And please, just take what I've written here at face value; this is not a discourse on what gender roles ought to be, for example.)

(One more aside: I just finished The Far Side of the World, a Jack Aubrey novel by Patrick O'Brien and so it's no wonder a word like "prodigious" snuck into this post. Gosh, I sound so stuffy sometimes in my writing. I swear, I'm not like this in person, certainly not if you buy me a pint or two! I wonder, is my writing voice really so different from my actual person as I think?))

4 Comments:

  • At 3:21 AM, Blogger Lone Ranger said…

    I supposed you could make up a checklist and marry the first person who's able to fill all the requirements. Or, you could wait until a woman comes along who becomes the best friend you've ever had and hope she'll have you, regardless of what traits she has. I recommend the latter.

     
  • At 3:29 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    You wouldn't happen to have a sister about my age would you?!

    Kidding aside, I just read your profile and it seems you've been a long-time broadcaster. I have a love affair with radio, from old-time dramas to today's talk radio. Good stuff. Thanks for helping bring forth something I've enjoyed so much.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger mal said…

    I am curious as to what became of your friend from china?

    As regards "Mate material". Best bet from my advancing dotage? Take it as it comes, it will work itself out. The OH and I knew each other for several years before we got "serious". Being friends and really respecting who and what the other is has been the key to surviving the hard times of marriage. In short? Learn to be friends first, if lovers it is to be it will happen

    yes, you can have it all *G*

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Thanks mallory. Ya, that's usually my approach. I tend to make long-term friendships with both my guy and women friends. In the past it's been a little rough navigating the transition from friends to lovers, though. Still, you're right, that's the best approach. All in due course....

    Oh, I'm not sure what ever happened with the woman from China. She wasn't a close friend and I didn't keep touch. Her story, though, was hardly unique. There were a lot of foreign female students at MIT and, foreign or not, we all have to think about the career/family thing at some point. That you've got one foot here and another back home just adds another interesting dimension. (Think Amy Tan books.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home