Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

September 28, 2005

Santa Ana Winds

I'm sitting in the patio shirtless and barefoot. I'm drinking a glass of some excellent merlot from Trader Joe's (how do they manage to sell such good wine so cheaply?!). It's dusk and it's probably 85-90 degrees and dry where I'm sitting. And it is absolutely delicious, like soaking in a warm bath. I love this weather passionately. And it's all due to a phenomenon known as the Santa Ana Winds.

The typical weather pattern in southern California is an offshore flow in the afternoon as the inland air warms and rises toward the end of the day. This pulls in moist ocean air that flows over the coastal mountains (about 30 miles inland). The air is cooled as it rises over the mountain and the moisture drops out as precipitation leaving dry, cloudless skies to the east, hence the Mojave desert in southeastern California.

Today, however, the flow reversed. A cold air mass settled between the Rockies and the Sierra Nevadas and exerted enough pressure to overcome the usual offshore flow. The so-called Santa Ana winds came gushing in through the mountain passes bringing that delicious dry hot desert air to the coastal plane. It's the kind of weather that makes you want to sit on the porch with your favorite adult beverage (we're all adults here, aren't we?). It's the sort of weather that makes you want to go out to your favorite taco stand with your best friend (it is Southern California, after all!) and that's exactly what I'm going to do....

2 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger mal said…

    I was disappointed missing Santa Ana conditions when I was there last week. One of my favorite memories is sitting on a hill above El Modena with some friends (before they built houses) and drinking some wine, watching the sun go down with a soft Santa Ana blowing warm and dry.

    BTW, I believe the heat results from compression coming down the canyons. I might be wrong on that

    Oh, and Mexican food in MN? Locals think its Taco Bell....ackkkk

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Actually, you're right. The air comes in from the high desert and drops down into the LA basin, ergo compression and heat. I shoud put that in there for the sae of accuracy.

    I used to tell folks back east that even the sun was different there. It was a pale yellow color that gave no color to the sky. I don't have to tell you what the skies look like in CA, but you take it for granted until you leave.

    And I've got plenty of stories about the food back there like finally finding a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in south Jersey only to find the food was actually Puerto Rican. Also, inexplicably, even the Chinese food is different in Boston and New York, with everything drowned in bland and runny sauces. I just don't get it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home