Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

November 20, 2006

Legacy

When I first got my driver license it had a pink dot on the back that read “donor.” I did it because I thought it was a kind thing to do, but when the folks got a little weird about it the button came off. After all, I’ve always believed that decisions we make about our posthumous selves should be governed mostly and probably solely by the concerns of those who will survive us; our own desires are irrelevant at that point (indeed we can argue about their in vivo relevancy!).

So with that guiding ethos in mind I sit here and scratch my head and wonder at that age-old theme that looms so large in the great works: legacy. We speak of the legacy of presidents, philanthropists, artists and even us common folks. Legacy takes the form of accomplishment, money, bloodline, reputation, and even just plain ol’ being remembered. Once dead, though, why should any of us care? But everyone does and I don’t really understand why, though the usual reasons come to mind.

Does my stance sound glib or naïve? Think about it. Aren’t the usual reasons (and I’m purposely leaving them for the reader to define) concerned less with how people will remember us than with fears that we’ve fallen short during our lifetimes? Why can’t we let the record speak for itself? Why do we feel a need for embellishment, to justify? Are we merely substituting who we were with the memory of who we hoped to be? Who do we fool? Our loved ones? Ourselves? Our God?

______________________________________

On a totally unrelated and much lighter topic, why do we congratulate people on their birthdays? As if we never expected them to make it so far!

7 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger mal said…

    I think that we do not really understand what an "important" legacy is. At the end, we are all basically worm food so what does it matter?

    The ego items that constitute so many legacys (Donald Trump comes to mind) mean nothing to the one leaving the legacy, EXCEPT in their life times.

    What about those who leave a less pronounced legacy? Who taught Madison? Who convinced Michaelangelo of his talent? Who was the first human? Those are legacys. People who intentionally or not, did what they did and moved a species.

    Monuments to greatness? Forget it. Greatness is in the impact, not the name

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said…

    I agree so completely. I've heard people ask me what I want to leave behind (a multimillionaire asked me this on a recent date... I felt like I was on a job interview!)

    The truth is, the best thing I can leave is a happy, healthy son. Nothing else matters a great deal. Of course I would echo what Mal said (she's very wise).

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I congratulate people on their birthdays because they have been given the gift of another day, another year of life by God. And that is a huge blessing indeed!

    And, I'm a donor. :) Sometimes it's important to talk these things through with our loved ones before they are asked to make one the spot decisions so it's sorted out before hand. And, since I will be up in heaven, I'd rather my body go to some use instead of underground.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I forgot to mention my donor boxed is checked too...not sure what anyone would want with my used parts though

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    Humans are altrusistic creatures whether we admit or not. We get more pleasure from giving than from acquiring. Moreover, we can conceive of a world remaining after we are gone, and we have love for those who remain in that world. There are also many selfish and petty attitudes tied up within our feelings, which we tend to see to clearly while missing the startling generosity within. In our giving, we have to make choices. So we pick those closest to us first. We see this as a fault, but it is natural and the source of much that is good in this world.

    Regarding organ donation. I am listed on my license as a donor. I have instructed my family as to my wishes in that regard. They are OK with it. A lot of people aren't, but Americans in general are far more willing to donate their organs than anyone else. Why do you suppose that is? Some even donate a kidney while they're still alive, which I think is a culturally risky practice. Even so, there are nowhere near enough donated organs to fill the needs.

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    Happy New Year!

    Tell us what you're going to do this year.

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss reading your entries. I hope you're coming back soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home