Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

September 03, 2006

San Fran, day 2


If a glass of wine is one of life’s most wonderful simple pleasures then surely a wedding at a Sonoma vineyard is a pleasure, simply wonderful!

I was afraid I’d have a chip on shoulder on this trip to San Francisco partly because the socially liberal, politically left culture of the city is as palpable as the slightly less infamous fog; partly because, subconsciously, I’m actively trying to dislike this city in order to justify not looking for a job here where IP and technical work is more plentiful. But the chip didn’t stay on my shoulder long.

As I was leaving home I prayed about this and other aspects of the trip, including that the wedding go well for the bride and groom and that this road trip be a nice opportunity to get in some good praying/meditating on the word time. Seems it was God’s will for all three of these things to come to pass. Awesome.

The chip came off when I spoke to the folks at the pub I wrote about in the last post. The pub and its regulars were an eclectic bunch that did nothing to dispel my apprehensions about the social and political culture here, but I’ve got a touch of the bohemian in me too and I don’t always separate myself from thoughts and ideas I disagree with. (People sometimes make negative assumptions based on some of my views, but they’re often wrong. I could give examples, but that’s the topic of another post.) These were interesting, compelling, sympathetic folks and I’m very glad I ventured out for pint instead of staying in and pouting. More details in the last post.

The wedding was absolutely wonderful. The bride was absolutely beautiful. She's one of those folks from the high school days who definitely grew up and changed for the better in so many wonderful ways. Good for her.

Other wedding highlights. I hit it off with this guy who liked to talk about faith, family, politics and all that good stuff that I enjoy chatting about too. Also, the wine was excellent (except for the un-oaked chardonnay). Finally, I got a chance to chat with someone I’d once had a great conversation with-- twelve years ago!

The trip home was interesting, featuring frequent stops that gave me a chance to do a little reading and praying that proved fruitful. (The truck was getting a little hot going up the Grapevine.)

All in all, an excellent trip.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger mal said…

    Grapevine is a pull for sure. I do not think there is a car made that will not heat up pulling it.

    I love SF. I have always had fun visiting there. We were there last summer for my neices wedding (at the presidio) and we had a fabulous time.
    One thing I have always liked about the city is the excellent dining that is so common

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    I read the Wikipedia article about the Grapevine. Really interesting how it was considered the latest and geates, in part, because the designers departed from the standard maximum 2% grade used in the railraod industry.

    Isn't it nice to be come back from a trip and be able to say, without any qualifications, that it was an excellent trip worth taking? Good stuff. I agree about the dining--and I'm a big fan of good food--but I admit I haven't had the opportunity to sample too much NorCal cuisine. Still, what little I've tried has been absolutely excellent. Even the catered wedding food was surprisingly good (not usually the case in my experience).

    Mal, you don't need me to tell you that you look excellent, but I think I just did. :) Adios.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home