Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

April 16, 2006

Kickin' back

Men and women are different and one might argue those differences tend to lend themselves to gender roles. Whatever your take on the issue--and I'm not laying out my own views on this just now--what I've seen at my local supermarket just ain't cool.

Ok, so it's not particularly controversial to say that, generally speaking, there lingers a certain machismo in a lot of Hispanic-type cultures. After all, the etymology of the word points south of the border. That said, let me take you to the parking lot of the Food 4 Less supermarket at Lakewood and Rosecrans where the clientele is hugely Hispanic. I pull into a parking stall as usual, but this time I pause for a second and look around. All around me in the parking lot are these guys just sitting in their cars. Nothing weird about that, except that there were so many guys kicking back in their cars. I thought about it for a second and then I realized they'd all sent their women into the store to do the shopping while they leaned back in their seats and listened to the radio.

Stuff like that just bugs the heck out of me, probably for a couple reasons. First, it's been my experience that ya, there does seem to be a tad of chauvinism among some Hispanic men. Second, and more importantly, it bugs me because it's just plain rude, disrespectful, unfair and unkind. If you serve and help those whom you love then what do you call it when you shirk even this most basic opportunity to help?

...ahhh, but haven't we all missed an opportunity to help those we love. Another topic for another day.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger mal said…

    I think the culture of machismo hurts the beneficiaries as much as the others. I think the "boys" are missing an opportunity here. Our weekly shopping trip is as much an date as anything for the two of us and we have fun doing it.

    Reminds me a bit of the girls I know who go to a gay bar to dance because their husbands will not go dancing with them. FOOLS (the hubbies) *S*

    I have a feeling some woman is going to get lucky with you

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger jj mollo said…

    I have a policy. Don't sit out in the car. You never know what you might be missing.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Mal,
    When I was an undergrad I remember how in a weird sort of way I looked forward to the "domesticity" of pushing a shopping cart. It reminded me of home and brought a sense or normalcy to that crazy time in my life.

    And believe it or not, I remember pushing a cart with my last romantic interest and consciously thinking how nice it was to share that time. I think I even tried to put it in words, but it didn't quite come out right.

    Some woman "get lucky" with me?! I like to think I'm not so easy! (I know what you mean; I'm kidding and I'm flattered :-) )

    jj_molo,
    But sitting in the car with someone can be oh so fun! Sitting in the car with a burger is almost as fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home