Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

November 03, 2005

The Fields Are Ripe...and Empty

At Play in the Fields of the Lord was very sad and depressing. In the tradition of Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Flies, it features a couple of missionary families and assorted characters devolving into the most base elements of their persons under the mysterious, soul-denuding powers of the jungle canopy. That the author skewers the characters' faiths, cultures, dreams, motivations and all that they hold dear is all well and good, but what, then, does he leave us with? The book does end with a dubious redemption of sorts where the one "pure of heart" character comes out the other side with a sort of vague, primitive understanding of himself and nature. And what exactly did he come to understand? I dunno. I came away feeling the author thinks a zen-like embracing of nothingness is the pinnacle of enlightenment. How sad.

To be sure, this is a very challenging book and there's a lot that went over my head. Even so, it doesn't help that the author indulges a bit too much in psychedelic drug induced, disease induced flights of fancy to reveal to us characters' spiritual revelations. Now, I suppose this imperfect device is as good as any for describing such admittedly ethereal phenomena, but after a while it just comes off as a little pretentious and heavy-handed. You get the feeling you're listening to a stoned guy's gibberish--gibberish which the stoner sees as nothing less than God's word revealed.

I need to read some critical work about the book. I might change my mind.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger mal said…

    I have not read the book and after your comments, not sure I care to. I do not need to intentionally depress myself

    Stories that devolve the protaganists to animal status with no redemption or growth reflect the authors lack of spiritual anchor.

    I can not accept that. To assume that is to assume that all we do is ultimately futile and devoid of meaning. In that case lets save ourselves the trouble and kill ourselves now.

    What ever there is, there is purpose. I pity the author who is so buried in thier own dark existence that they can not see it.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    I love your insightful and well thought out comments. Like I said in the last mini book reveiw I wrote, I don't often get to share what I read so it's a real treat when I do.

    To be fair, the author does rebuild one of the haracters at the end. In a malaria-tinged haze he is "born again," but it's anything but clear what new creation this new man is.

    Barbara Kingsolver's Poinsonwood Bible deals with a lot of the same themes, but she does offer us various resolutions by leading us through each of her rich characters' unique experiences of the same events. She does this using one of the most masterful uses of point of view I think I've ever read. Think "Roshemon" in a book. Well worth reading.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home