Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

October 21, 2005

Do Potato Bugs Sleep?



Wow, these things are hideous! I’ve come across two of these 2” monstrosities in as many days! The head looks half-human, it’s got a body like a scorpion, and the bright bands are nature’s universal sign for DANGER!

I thought is was time to conquer my fears so I looked up a little information about these Devil’s spawn. Found in the western U.S. and down into Mexico, these suckers are not poisonous as many believe. In fact, they’re non-aggressive and have no poison glands. They do, however, have powerful jaws it uses to chew on herbaceous matter which can also inflict a painful bite. They spend most of their time underground, completing a life cycle yearly. They are not pest animals since they rarely appear in large numbers. Being a type of cricket (aka Jerusalem Cricket) they make noise by “drumming” their legs against their bodies.

For a humorous parody site with lots of disgusting pictures for the sadomasochist, follow this link.

_______________________________

I just can't sleep again. I'm dead tired, but I can't sleep. I once described it to my roommate as something like a hyperactive mind. I close my eyes and relax my body, but my mind just races on with all sorts of thoughts from things I'd like to build, things I'd like to write, conversations I had or would like to have had, just constantly processing, analyzing, synthesizing, sometimes just jumping from one thing to the next in a weird game of free association. That's what happens when you spend too much time swimming in your own thoughts!

I've read all these web sites that offer sleeping tips and they just don't seem to address the problem. I wonder, short of drugs, if there's something else I can try. Well, I know one thing that's helped in the past is a regular routine with regular exercise. I'm going to try a couple of things: I'm going to a force a routine on myself and, regrettably, I'm gonna try some of those sleeping pills, at least until I can get a regular routine going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home