Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

October 26, 2005

License to Steal

Someone came to me recently with an interesting legal problem. The person had registered a domain name that is also a registered trademark of some people who could afford to hire the lawyers to write a cease and desist letter.

This is such interesting stuff and right up my alley too...but I'm not an attorney yet and I find myself in that interesting position once again of trying to figure out the limits of what I can/should do or say. (There’s more I would say about this, but it’s probably not in my interest to be explicit.)

Funny, there have been about four different "opportunities" along these lines in the last few months. Some even came with the promise of remuneration, and all of them were unsolicited. That never happened when I was an engineer!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:16 AM, Blogger mal said…

    thats one way to get started in practice

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger anchovy said…

    You mean start stealing now while no one expects me to?!

    I've got a former classmate that hung up his own shingle after a year of clerking for a district judge. He's struggling, but getting by. Of course, he's got the type of personality that would make it very difficult for himn to work for anybody! Nice guy, though.

    I've always just assumed that liability insurance for patent practice was too expensive for me right now, even if I could find an underwriter for someone with no experience! I should find out for sure, though. To give you some idea how much liability is involved in patent practice, the couple solo practitioners I've spoken to about this were both insured by Lloyd's of London.

    If it wasn't for the liability issue I would have taken on a couple clients already, at least for work a patent agent is permited to do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home