Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

September 06, 2005

Time heals all...cracks

My aquarium has a crack in it. I knew it was there when I got it. I thought maybe a little silicone sealant and patience would fix it. But, as cracks are wont to do, it suddenly sprouted a hairline across half the front glass. It might still be repairable; patience and understanding (of adhesives) help. Time will tell.

Cracks are a funny thing. Sometimes they are the result of hidden stresses in the glass that might not otherwise be apparent, but for the surfacing of the crack. Of course, by then you've already brought the thing home and it's pretty disappointing to find a crack in your new aquarium. Of course you're going to try to fix it before you throw it out. Then again, maybe it's better to throw out a cracked aquarium than to have it shatter on you once you've stocked it with fish. I'm afraid I've already started stocking mine and it's gonna hurt either way. Or maybe not--it might be repairable and the sealant might hold.

I'm going to leave this project alone for a few days. Maybe it'll help me see another way to approach it. I need to restock on adhesives anyway.

(Um...ya, it's a metaphor. Obvious, no?)

2 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger mal said…

    good luck. never found a glue that would repair glass worth a #!$.....On the other hand, depending on how you have the place decorated, some duct tape might br appropo *G*

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger anchovy said…

    Duct tape--the engineer's favorite. Not very pretty, but very practical. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work it will not have been for lack of trying.

    I pride myslef on being able to fix most anything, but this one isn't a matter of pride. No, it's not pride that's at stake.... I can swallow my pride well enough.

    *sigh* For all their wonderful rewards, acquariums sure can be tough to maintain.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home