Life in an aquarium.

Day-to-day goings-on.

August 15, 2008

Manly-Man

I had breakfast with a friend and her mom last weekend and, while I had my head turned to speak with her mom, said friend reached over and grabbed hold of the hair sticking out the top of my shirt. "I just had to see if it was real," she said. "For better or for worse, there's plenty more where that came from," I responded.

This is just one more indication--apart from some old fashioned values and aesthetics--that I was born the wrong decade. How did we go from tufts of hair spilling out of leisure suits to grown men waxing the hair off their chests to look like prepubescent little boys? What changed? Surely not men, women and sex. Those three are immutable. Undoubtedly what changed are the myriad outside forces that act on those three. How can we be so prone to suggestion? As for me, I'm a proud, if anachronistic, manly-man.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger mal said…

    Hirsute males unite!! you have nothing to lose but your pelts!

    guys with pelts never affected me one way or the other. The only thing that bothers me is when it is really SHAGGY. Some times good grooming can extend beyond the head

    Other than that? Glory in it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home